Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Stupid Moment With A Reward That Made It Worth It

So last week I had a rather stupid moment... like really stupid. I was talking about something with a few friends and my wedding bouquet got brought up (I'm sure it was by me) and I wanted to show the people I was with what it had looked like (since it was amazing). I thought that I would be perfectly fine to do that. Well I don't have any pictures from my wedding, since they were all thrown away the day Josh gave me the divorce papers, and so I was looking through my trash on my computer to see if anything was in there. Well there weren't any pictures, but there was the code to my wedding video. So, I decided to upload it for them to watch because it was actually very well done. I don't know why I thought I would be okay to watch it. Anyway, so I showed it to them and I was doing okay with it until I saw something else and then a trigger was hit. I got up and said I need to go out I'll be back soon. It wasn't exactly a fun moment. I walked over to the park by my friends apartment and decided to sit and think things through. I wanted to be alone , but I knew I needed to process what I was feeling. For me to process I have to talk to someone or I don't sort through all my thoughts and it ends up building up until I just can't take it anymore. I was being weighed down by the memory of how happy Josh and I had once been. I had forgotten we were EVER truly happy. I had forgotten what it felt like to be so full of joy and it hurt to know I didn't have that happiness anymore. Don't get my wrong; I am very happy now, but I had forgotten blissful joy. Then I also started to get down thinking I could never have a day as beautiful as my wedding day. My wedding day was my personality put to life and it was a nigh unto perfect day. I didn't know how I could ever have that again. How could I? Well, I wanted to talk to my friend but I didn't to go to the apartment to ask her to talk with me. I had been crying and the last thing I want anyone to see is my face when I've been crying or I'm about to cry. So, I did what I always do when I'm in a not so happy place. I poured my heart out to God asking him that he would send me the person I need to talk to so that I could process the feelings that I was having so that I could heal. After my prayer I waited for a few minutes thinking things through. I figured where I was at no one would ever find me and I should just go back to the apartment and ask the person to come and talk with me. I then started my walk back to the apartment and as I come around the corner I see the person I needed to talk to walking down her parking lot right to the sidewalk. When I met up with her I started to cry and said, "You're here", to which she replied, "I was sitting on the couch when I got the overwhelming feeling that you needed someone to talk to and that you would be coming down the sidewalk once I got outside". It may not sound all that amazing, but for me it was. My Father in Heaven had heard my plea, yet again, and my friend was sensitive enough to the spirit to know I needed her and to know where I would be. To me it was the most beautiful reminder that God is aware of me and gave me yet another confirmation of prayer and that I am a loved daughter of God. You know, this divorce has been worth it for all the lessons I have learned and the ever increasing knowledge that God loves me and that I am HIS daughter. When you have that knowledge you can make it through anything!

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful and inspiring story Emily. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "No matter how serious the trial, how deep the distress, how great the affliction, God will never desert us. He never has and he never will. He cannot do it. It is not his character to do so...he will stand by us. We may pass through the fiery furnace; we may pass through deep waters; but we shall not be consumed nor overwhelmed. we shall emerge from all these trials and difficulties the better and purer for them, if we only trust in our God..." George Q. Cannon

    You are loved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miraculous. Thanks for sharing and for the reminder.

    I love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily,
    I heard of you through Joyce (I'm going through a divorce right now) and thought I'd check out your blog. I am sorry for this great loss, but it sounds like you are on the right path despite how hard it is. Anyways, if you ever need another divorcee LDS woman to talk to, you can email me anytime.

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing that. You have good friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "The sweetest experience I know in life is to feel a prompting and act upon it and later to find out that it was the fulfillment of someone’s prayer or someone’s need."
    President Monson

    "God does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs. Therefore, it is vital that we serve each other..."
    President Kimball


    Glad to read and see that you are getting happier! The picture of you holding that baby is darling. Careful with those firearms, we still need you on THIS side of the veil. Looks fun.

    Jesse

    ReplyDelete